Woman describes learning her husband leads a double life and has a teenage girlfriend
Michigan man reportedly kidnapped online and held captive for three weeks
A convicted murderer kidnapped a Michigan mother on their second date and held her hostage for nearly a month, authorities said. Kaila McCleary, 24, needed 17 stitches and had bruises on her body after she was allegedly kidnapped and held against her will by Trevor Double at her home in Bangor Township. Double, 45, has been charged with assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, as well as burglary, according to county jail records. McCleary and Double met on the dating app MeetMe, according to a Van Buren County Sheriff’s incident report obtained by Oxygen.com. The couple, who had been communicating for about three weeks, had gone on a single in-person date, McCleary said. “I haven’t been home for over a month,” Kaila McCleary told WWMT. “It was all horrible…” I didn’t know what his intention was. “In April,” said McCleary, Double came to her house unannounced and invited her over for breakfast. Instead, McCleary claims she was forcibly confined to Double’s home in the Bangor Township for several weeks, where she was repeatedly abused Trevor Double Photo: Van Buren County Jail In a terrifying incident, he threatened to “bury” a hatchet in McCleary’s neck after accusing her of cheating on him and ‘talking to other guys’. “The incident report said.” I was lying on the edge of the bed with my feet in the air, trying to block my face and he was hitting me in the legs, “McCleary told WWMT. McCleary also accused Double of hitting her with his fists, attacking her with a knife and beating her with cellphones while she was stuck in his house. “At one point he dragged me by the hair and beat me with an iron,” McC added. leary. Double threatened to murder her on several occasions – and warned that he would harm her 8-year-old son if she approached the police, according to the incident report. “When I told him I wanted to leave, he beat me more,” McCleary said. “I remember a few times, I stood there when he was sleeping, and I just wondered, like, ‘Should I go out and try to escape? What should I do?’ movement. On May 7, McClearly said Double took her to a hospital in Paw Paw for treatment for her injuries. She said she begged the hospital staff for help. “I said to the doctor, ‘Please don’t let me go with him,’ McCleary said. “He is going to kill me.” Investigators subsequently executed a search warrant at Double’s Bangor Township’s home. Bloody gauze, a box of band-aid and a broken cell phone, which detectives suspect was used to attack McCleary, were seized from the house according to a copy of the warrant obtained by Oxygen.com. Law enforcement released images of Double in hotels in the area, as well as in homeless camps. He was taken into custody after being spotted by a hotel employee in Kalamazoo. County officials said McCleary was fortunate to have survived the ordeal. “You see again and again the national stories of incidents like this ending in the death of a person,” Van Buren County Sheriff Daniel Abbott told Oxygen.com. “You see over and over again the stories of dating people on dating sites going awry. Here’s another one to add to this list. I really wish the victim had never been put in the situation she was in and never had to endure the abuse she committed. I am convinced that justice will be served as it should and I pray that she and her family will recover. Double has an extensive criminal record. He has business open in several surrounding counties, according to online prison records. He was on bail at the time of the alleged kidnapping. In 2004, Double was convicted of manslaughter in Kalamazoo County, court records show. Double is scheduled to appear in South Haven, Michigan district court on June 2. He is being held on $ 800,000 bond, according to online prison records. It is not known whether he retained legal representation.