Nebraska prison system director announces retirement – METRO

0

New

Nebraska Department of Corrections Director Scott Frakes, who has headed the state’s beleaguered prison system for seven years, announced he would step down next month.

Image

Courtesy of Nebraska Department of Corrections

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska Department of Corrections Director Scott Frakes, who has headed the state’s beleaguered prison system for seven years, said he will step down next month.

The announcement was made Thursday in a press release, and Frakes said his last day would be October 7. State Fire Marshal Chris Cantrell also announced his resignation in the same statement, effective Oct. 14. Governor Pete Ricketts will announce the interim directors to serve in both offices.

Frakes was appointed by Ricketts to the position in early 2015 to help address high-profile issues in the state’s prison system, but struggled in the years that followed with chronic prison overcrowding and staffing shortages. He had been in the job for less than three months when a prisoner revolt broke out at the state’s maximum security prison in Tecumseh, killing two and injuring two others and two staff.

Frakes also received scathing criticism from state lawmakers and others later that year for spending more than $54,000 on lethal foreign-made injection drugs the state didn’t have. never received because the federal government declared them illegal and blocked their importation.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.